Tuesday, December 1, 2009
These 1950's vintage die-cut cards for children are so cute! These are by Carrington, which is neat because there are a number of devoted Carrington collectors online. I just found these today and will have them up in my store by tonight, along with my other vintage Christmas cards and ephemera: http://stores.ebay.com/Birdhouse-Books__W0QQ_sidZ81052548?_nkw=Christmas+%28card%2Csticker*%2Cseal*%2Ctag*%29&submit=Search
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Still going through my BIG box of vintage Christmas cards. One tip on dating World War II vintage Christmas cards ... many were red, white, and blue incorporating these patriotic colors into a holiday theme. Here's a nice example with poinsettias.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Sunday afternoon finds me listening to Holiday Traditions (1940's to 1960's Christmas music) on XM radio and listing vintage Christmas cards online. There were a few more that I love so much I wanted to share with you. The card with the gold carriage has a celluloid "window" behind the carriage. This dates it to 1940's vintage. I love the Mid-Century whimsey of Santa on a magic, flying carpet, too! These should all be in my eBay store by this evening:
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Friday, November 13, 2009
The thing I love most about old vinyl records is the cover art. These vintage Christmas records have such wonderful 1950's - 1960's cover art that I wanted to share. We had one of these Sound of Christmas records when I was a little girl, and I remember listening to it through my childhood. Of special note with these records: Santa's Musical Grog is signed by the band on the back, and the Roger Williams record has a Gurley candle snow man on the cover. Love those Gurley candles!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
I'm having lots of fun today researching and listing vintage Christmas ornaments. Most of these are Eames era, mid century glass. They are really beautiful! A tip about identifying vintage glass Christmas ball ornaments -- look at the silver capper at the top of ornament and look for maker's mark or country of origin, i.e. Shiny Brite, Made in Poland, etc.
Friday, November 6, 2009
I absolutely love vintage picture books illustrated by Dahlov Ipcar. Her animal illustrations are so exceptionally charming! She is still living and about to turn 92. I wanted to post a link to her website and a few illustrations from her books I Like Animals and Brown Cow Farm. What an amazing depiction of animals! Her website is: http://www.exitfive.com/dahlov/
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
I'm excited to host my first ever blog giveaway. The winner will receive the fun stack of vintage needlework books pictured. (Please note that these are vintage books and some may have wear typical of older books.) Included in this lot:
- Classic Collection - Graphique Needle Arts (1978)
- Charted Dogs and Cats for Needlepoint and Cross Stitch (1979)
- Do Your Own Home Sampler (1980)
- Carolina Cross Stitch - Christmas Ornaments (1974)
- Edgings (undated, perhaps 1940s)
- State Flowers Charted for Cross Stitch and Needlepoint (1980)
- Holiday Happenings by Christal Carter (1987)
- Wildflower Designs for Needlework by Adalee Winter (1984)
How to enter:
REQUIRED - One entry - go to my store - http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Birdhouse-Books - and pick out your favorite item. Post back here in the comments section (below) with the name of your favorite item and your email address.
- One entry - Follow this blog - right side of screen. Please post a note in the comments section letting me know you are following my blog, and including your email address.
- One entry - Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/birdhousebooks. Please post a note in the comments section letting me know that you are following me on Twitter, and including your email address.
- One entry - Post a tweet on Twitter about this giveaway. Please post a note in the comments section letting me know you tweeted, and including your email address.
- One entry - Join my fan page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/birdhousebooks. Please post a note in the comments section letting me know you joined my fan page on Facebook, and including your email address.
- One entry - Post a note on Facebook about this giveaway. Please post a note in the comments section letting me know you posted a note on Facebook about this giveaway, and including your email address.
Thanks for participating, and wishing you a winning entry. The winner will be drawn on Monday, November 9.
And we have a winner! Congratulations to Lauri Coates for winning this lot of books. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
One of my favorites! I can't resist sharing pictures. These vintage Valentines are 1920's to 1930's vintage. Two are mechanical (moving pieces) -- see card with the goat, and the card of the dog biting the hem of a little girl's dress. I especially like the Whitney Made card of the little boy with his Dachshund dog in a sweater. Very cute!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
I love these vintage record albums -- Scary Spooky Stories by Troll Records is spooky stories for children from the early 1970's, and the Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House record is by Disneyland Records from the 1960's. We had a record like this when I was growing up -- it's fun spooky sound effects for kids. Takes me back!
Friday, October 9, 2009
These vintage car prints are really fabulous! I have a wonderful stack of these that I am listing separately on eBay. Some depict 1961 Ford Thunderbird cars, and the others depict 1961 Oldsmobile Classic 98 cars -- 5 different models. The Oldsmobile prints are especially intriguing, because each car is parked in front of a Mid Century Modern building -- beautiful to look at! I just wanted to share a few of the photos with you.