Monday, September 17, 2012
Little Golden Books are my favorite thing to list. I love the illustrations, the storytelling, and the nostalgic quality of these sweet books. I just listed many Little Golden Books, and felt inspired to share some fun facts about LGBs with you.
1. Little Golden Books were first published in 1942.
2. The first Little Golden Book published was Three Little Kittens, illustrated by Masha.
3. Little Golden Books originally sold for 25 cents.
4. Early Little Golden books have an interesting edition notation. With older (25 cent to 29 cent) Little Golden Books, look at the gutter of the last page of book for a letter. "A" designates First Edition, "B" designates Second Edition, and so forth.
5. Little Golden Books usually have a book number near the top of the cover. Each title has a number. Starting in the late 1970's, book numbers were hyphenated. Collectors always want to know the book number.
I hope these Little Golden Book facts were interesting, and I hope you'll pop by my store to browse my Little Golden Books as well.
Pictured: Mr. Noah and His Family, a 1948 Little Golden Book, illustrated by Alice and Martin Provensen.